Industrial Safety Graduate
(nucleargraduates – 2021)
£26,000 a year – Full-time, Permanent
Applications for this graduate development role are open to individuals who have graduated within the last 5 years.
Get your career in the nuclear Industry off to a flying start!
As a nucleargraduate you will have a graduate programme bespoke to you, no two nuclear graduates’ journeys are the same. This is a unique opportunity to experience the different aspects of our complex, ever-changing industry. You will be sponsored by Magnox Ltd whom you will join upon completion of your two-year programme to start a substantive role and continue with your professional development.
Magnox Ltd is a subsidiary of the Nuclear Decommissioning Authority (NDA), and is responsible for safely managing the decommissioning of twelve nuclear sites across England, Scotland and Wales. Magnox are responsible for managing the sites through their lifecycles, overseeing all aspects of decommissioning through to care and maintenance.
Magnox Ltd offers diverse and challenging work following defueling at the end of generation using innovative techniques to accelerate decommissioning and site clean-up through to land remediation for future use . There are opportunities in both Nuclear and conventional construction safety, looking at safety options for decommissioning, setting company standards, advising sites to ensure that safety is the number one priority at all times.
Magnox Ltd believes that the protection of the environment and the health and safety of its workforce, contractors and the public are fundamental to the business. Excellence in Environment, health (including welfare) safety and quality is an integral part of its business and is essential to its commercial success.
Working within the central Environment Health Safety Security & Quality function in a high hazard industry with a focus on Health and Safety the role will be broad and stretching. The central function own the company process documents which in turn provide the company standards which the business uses to deliver its programme of work safely. You will work closely with Heads of Profession who set these standards for conventional safety working practise across all sites. Challenging actions are set through the company’s Continuous Safety Improvement Plan; you will be involved in closing these actions out.
A graduate development programme like no other you will complete;
- Three secondments (with the possibility of an international secondment). Two secondments on Magnox sites, the third secondment will be in another organisation.
- ‘Core training’ – training modules completed with your fellow graduates in Project Management, Commercial Awareness, Influencing & Negotiating, Risk Management, Business Skills and Leadership.
- Technical and behavioural training, structured against the needs of the Institute with whom you will be working to gain chartered status.
- Our Footprints corporate social responsibility programme will account for 10% of your time as a nuclear graduate. You will have the opportunity to become a STEM ambassador, passing on your knowledge and enthusiasm to the next generation of engineers and scientists. You will establish a start-up company, developing your commercial awareness and growing your appreciation of the challenges faced by a small business whilst donating profits to your chosen charity.
To support you with the above we will provide;
- A dedicated mentor, assigned to you upon starting the programme who will stay with through to achievement of chartership with your chosen institute.
- An individual training budget (£3,500) for training, resources and conferences specific to your personal development.
- Membership of two institutes.
- An individual travel & subsistence budget (£5,500) to allow you to move between secondments and fulfil your training commitments.
- A starting salary of £26,000 rising to £27,000 in the second year with a golden hello payment of £1,000 paid in your first week on the programme.
- 6 days discretionary leave for study and relocation in addition to your 25 days annual leave
- A dedicated programme team, all Mental Health First Aiders, to provide professional and pastoral support, a sponsor company lead and a buddy, a graduate from the year above you.
As a nucleargraduate you will join a diverse, inter-disciplinary group of graduates who will collaborate with and support one-another. Your fellow graduates will always be there, and the bonds you form in that group will be some of the strongest you have ever made, you will make friends for life. Why? Because only other nucleargraduates will understand what it’s like to be a pioneer – changing the face of our industry forever.
Location: South West England, South East England, Scotland, Wales
Security Requirements: Candidates will be subject to Office of Civil Nuclear Security (OCNS) Clearance Checks.
Salary: £26,000 + £1,000 Golden Hello
Travel Details: Applicants must be willing and able to move around the UK and overseas to complete secondments and training whilst on the nucleargraduates programme. Extensive travelling is required with relocation across the UK essential in order to complete secondments.
Application Process: Candidates must complete the online application form by clicking “Apply Now”. Successful applicants will then be invited to complete an online Situational Strengths Assessment and a video interview followed by a one-day virtual assessment centre that will assess candidates across a range of competencies. After the selection process has been completed successful candidates will be made a formal offer on to the nucleargraduates programme.
Reference ID: Industrial Safety (nucleargraduates – 2021)
Expected start date: 11/10/2021
Salary: From £26,000.00 per year
- Company pension
- Flexible schedule
- Sick pay
- Bachelor’s (Required)
- Temporarily due to COVID-19
To Apply – via the company website
Skills and Experiences
Candidate Profile: nucleargraduates are looking for individuals keen to learn and able to influence others through their attitude and actions. Strong problem-solving, communication and organisational skills are crucial for this role. Most importantly, we are looking for graduates who can achieve real results whilst showing humility as an individual and in a team environment. Applicants must be driven, able to manage their own time and take full advantage of the opportunities presented to them by the scheme.
Minimum Eligibility Requirement: Candidates must have achieved a minimum of a 2:2 classification in Occupational health & safety, Health & Safety, Health, Safety & Environment.
- Bachelor's (Required)