If you want to be part of a fast paced, multi-disciplinary team focused on developing quality products with an innovative edge then please send your CV and cover letter highlighting your relevant skills to email@example.com and quote job reference ST0120.
Due to the large number of applications we receive, unfortunately we are unable to respond by email or telephone to candidates on the progress of their application. If you do not hear from us within 2 weeks of submitting your CV, please assume your application has been unsuccessful on this occasion
Based in Cwmbran, South Wales
Accountable to the Head of Engineering, the Senior Electronic Design Engineer will provide technical leadership to the Electronic Design team, identifying problems, resolving issues and defining or delegating the development of design solutions to resolve system/ stakeholder requirements and implement those solutions in Electronic & Electrical Design and/or Software Development.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
New Product Development
- Develops Requirements and Architectural solutions to Customer Needs, Regulatory Requirements and STG Aerospace strategies in order to support New Product system designs.
- Identifies and Develops all required supporting documentation during the development of the solution in accordance with defined Engineering procedures.
- Supports the project planning and definition of work packages in order to ensure that the project objectives are delivered on Time, On Cost and on Quality.
- Supports all relevant Integration and Qualification Activities in ensuring the assigned design element works as part of the broader electronic system.
- Contributes to component selection and definition in the STG Aerospace development tools.
- May be required on occasion to act in the Role of a Chief Engineer or System Architect
(Defined as separate Roles) on a given project.
- Leads the more Junior Electronic Engineers in the team to ensure that all work is delivered in accordance with allocated work packages to the required cost and time targets and the defined quality standards.
- Leads Complex Electronic designs and or software solutions in compliance with defined requirements and system architectures and resolves architectural or implementation problems as they arise.
- Acts as a Mentor to less experienced Electronic Engineers in developing their experience and skills in relevant subject areas.
- Follows Design & Development Processes and Procedures and completes all relevant checklists during the development of product solutions.
- Drives the improvement of the engineering function as well as the wider business including the development of new procedures and artefacts when required.
- Follows configuration management processes and identifies solutions where product or process falls short of such requirements.
Skills and Experiences
- Degree qualified in Electrical, Electronic or Software Development or equivalent.
- Extensive Experience of operating in a New Product development engineering environment, with responsibilities for delivery of design solutions to schedule and quality against defined requirements.
- Extensive Experience of using Schematic Capture and Simulation Design tools.
- Exceptional ability in analogue and digital electronic design, particularly SMPSU, LED lighting and embedded microcontrollers.
- Exceptional ability in the control and prevention of conducted and radiated EMI.
- Considered an expert in Electrical & Electronic Circuit design or Embedded software development with extensive electronic design capabilities.
- An understanding of the complete Engineering Development Lifecycle from Requirements definition to Volume manufacturing.
- A detailed knowledge of Health & Safety compliance.
- English GCSE (min Grade C) or equivalent
- Intermediate level user of MS Excel, Word and Outlook.
- Strong numerical and verbal ability.
- Experience of design for the cabin interior aerospace environment and regulated environments, particularly LED lighting.
- Operational understanding of the configuration and operation of the Altium Design Environment.
- Knowledge of AS9100 compliance and operating environment.
- Excellent understanding of Design for Manufacture (DfM) and Design for Test (DfT) techniques.
- Flexibility in dealing with changing priorities.
- Communication: to be able to lead, influence and communicate with confidence and authority and liaise with a range of third parties including customers and suppliers and communicate clearly too internal team members and other functional stakeholders.
- Relationship building: to develop strong collaborative relations with staff and third parties.
- Team working: to be able to lead and direct others, supporting and delegating where necessary, in achieving the company’s priorities and goals.
- Time management: to be able to effectively prioritise and delegate to achieve goals.
- Thoroughness: to ensure own and others' work and information are complete and accurate; following up with others to ensure that commitments have been fulfilled.
- Analytical thinking: to tackle a problem by using a logical, systematic, sequential approach.