Do you have experience of designing optical products and seeing them through to the manufacturing stage within a high precision environment?
If so, this is an incredible opportunity to join our world renowned design team, you will become part of a team dedicated to creativity and innovation in a varied, interesting and challenging working environment.
Qioptiq are a growing, market leading business and have an outstanding reputation. For over 50 years at our site in St Asaph we have been producing some of the world’s best optronic solutions for a global customer base within the defence and aerospace industry.
For a candidate who is experienced, motivated and design focused we can offer you a rewarding and technically demanding environment to excel in.
What will you do as an Optical Designer?
As an Optical Designer you will showcase a detailed knowledge of complex optical imaging systems and be responsible for developing original and innovative optical solutions. You will use fundamental coding skills to programme customised design & analysis scripts and will use range performance modelling software (e.g. NV-IPM, TRM4) to quantify system capability.
You will be responsible for products through the entire life cycle including defining target specifications with the customer, development of concepts, detailed design and analysis, through to support of the manufacturing, assembly and test processes.
Working as part of dynamic multifunctional project teams, you will take the lead on all aspects of optical design activities. When required you will be expected to use structured problem solving techniques to allow projects to progress in a timely manner.
You will also be responsible for providing training and instruction to other Optical Designers where appropriate and for liaising with customers and suppliers on product specifications / performance matters.
What will you receive from Qioptiq?
As an optical designer you will be part of a world class design team within a global organisation where you will be supported to develop your career.
A range of additional benefits are on offer, including:
- Competitive salary
- 25 days annual leave plus bank holidays
- Stakeholder pension scheme (with company contribution)
- Life Assurance at x8 salary
- Learning and development opportunities
- Bonus plan (profit share)
- Healthcare scheme
- Cycle to work scheme
- Subsidised canteen
- On-site occupational health assistance
You will be employed on a permanent contract, working 36 hours per week, Monday to Thursday 08.15 to 16.45, and 08.15 to 12.15 on a Friday. Flexibility of hours will be required, along with the availability to work overtime in order to meet business needs.
Location: St Asaph (Denbighshire, North Wales), conveniently located near to the A55 – making it easily commutable from the North West region.
Skills and Experiences
What do you need to be an Optical Designer?
- An education to at least first degree level, preferably in Physics / Optical Engineering / Optoelectronics
- Proven experience designing products to tight tolerances
- A technical background with strong analytical skills
- The ability to work with and support the business group and other engineering functions
- Strong attention to detail and good inter-personal skills
- Experience of Microsoft Office e.g. Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Excellent interpersonal skills, both written and verbal
- Positive attitude to work and the ability to work well under pressure